Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouting into schools

Account Closed
    Thanks

Scouting into schools

I was listening to the news this morning and the government are interested in heavily promoting the ideals of the military and cadets in schools for various reasons. Wondered what everyone thought.

Here in Wales, Scouting also has to compete against the Urdd, which is like a Welsh Youth club organisation, but this is heavily promoted and attached to schools throughout Wales. Which is fine, but when your all competing for a set number of young people, the balance here is weighed against scouting. What I would like to see is scouting throughout Britain being heavily promoted in schools. The Kids Outdoor campaign would be an ideal opportunity, or have a scheme that targets primary schools to get the yp's when they are young. I'm sure we all advertise our groups in local schools, but a national TSA backed campaign would really help. (And yes we all know some of you are oversubscribed, but not all of us are.)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Akela Ben View Post
    I was listening to the news this morning and the government are interested in heavily promoting the ideals of the military and cadets in schools for various reasons. Wondered what everyone thought.

Here in Wales, Scouting also has to compete against the Urdd, which is like a Welsh Youth club organisation, but this is heavily promoted and attached to schools throughout Wales. Which is fine, but when your all competing for a set number of young people, the balance here is weighed against scouting. What I would like to see is scouting throughout Britain being heavily promoted in schools. The Kids Outdoor campaign would be an ideal opportunity, or have a scheme that targets primary schools to get the yp's when they are young. I'm sure we all advertise our groups in local schools, but a national TSA backed campaign would really help. (And yes we all know some of you are oversubscribed, but not all of us are.)
    but adults don't go to school...

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    but adults don't go to school...
    Well I was talking mainly about youngsters...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Akela Ben View Post
    Well I was talking mainly about youngsters...
    i know... it's the adults we're looking for round here

Thanks
    I have some concerns about Scouting in schools. Firstly, Scouting is supposed to be the opposite of school - getting out into the outdoors, meeting new people, developing socially etc. A lot of this wouldn't happen as well if you are with your school friends, probably meeting in the same school you go to every day and probably with at least one teacher as a leader.

Secondly, it gets to the stage where Scouting becomes part of the curriculum - where they have "three periods of Scouts" last on a Friday or something, and those that would really get into Scouts leave because they aren't tied into it enough and those that wouldn't are just there because it saves double maths.

Its the wrong reasons for expanding Scouting.

And, as Chris says, most folk are short of leaders, not kids!

Bob

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Erm, Ben, is this actually a Scout section question, or did it land up in the wrong forum?

Ben is correct though - there are parts of (rural) Wales where there are enthusiastic adults, but a lack of children; and a lot of this can be attributed to the Urdd and for the older sections, Young Farmers, being heavily promoted in the community, not to mention receiving statutory funding I believe. There is also the mis-conception in those parts that "Scouting is English"

Although before anyone shoots me down in flames, when I say parts I really do mean it - we are talking a small isolated number of groups where there are those enthusiastic leaders but few kids. In the majority of places, there are either not enough adults, or the adults that are there are not delivering the programme for whatever reason - the first thing you need to look at when you can't recruit kids is your programme (but I know Ben has already done this, and runs a balanced adventurous programme).

We have a number of Local Development Officers across Wales who are tasked with recruiting adults to open new sections and groups, and whilst helping with your particular problem wouldn't be within their remit (which is quite strict due to the grant funding), they do have a number of tips and tricks for getting into schools. If you want, I'll have a chat with the WSC office, and see if we can get one of the LDOs to either email you some information or give you a call.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    I have some concerns about Scouting in schools. Firstly, Scouting is supposed to be the opposite of school - getting out into the outdoors, meeting new people, developing socially etc. A lot of this wouldn't happen as well if you are with your school friends, probably meeting in the same school you go to every day and probably with at least one teacher as a leader.

Secondly, it gets to the stage where Scouting becomes part of the curriculum - where they have "three periods of Scouts" last on a Friday or something, and those that would really get into Scouts leave because they aren't tied into it enough and those that wouldn't are just there because it saves double maths.

Its the wrong reasons for expanding Scouting.

And, as Chris says, most folk are short of leaders, not kids!

Bob
    Just because scouting is promoted in school doesn't mean it has to be anything like schools. Its just another avenue surely to pursue. Scouting wouldn't become part of the curriculum, organisations like cadets and Urdd aren't part of the curriculum so why assume scouting would be.

I see the usual 'well we have more than enough kids, so its not our problem' thread rears its head. Well we have no problems recruiting adults in our group!

Hi Peter, I wasn't sure which forum to put it in as there isn't a news or media section or an 'obscure threads' section.
    Last edited by Akela Ben; 19-05-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Awards Team
    Thanks
    I agree with Bob - it's great for the kids to do something outside of school - totally separate where they meet new friends etc.

But there's no reason why it cannot be promoted through schools - i.e. go in a do a talk and give out some leaflets.
    Awards Team
    Twittering: Here

Thanks
    I thinking Scouting and Schools could be a plus... locally we have a couple of private schools, the fact that the children do not finish some days till 6pm, and attend Saturdat morning as well as due to the extra curriculum actvities and clubs the school does provide to those who are full time and borders.

What I would like to see is perhaps them offering Scouting to their YP as another choice, using the facilities of the school and its extra curriculum, but also opening the troop to non-residents, thus appealing to the local community, and linking in with local groups for district and joint events or to share facilities. What better way for those children to meet others, enjoy scouting and a whole host more...

Why a teacher can't be a leader, I don't know... one of my leaders is a teacher... she does it cause she can do things with the kids in Scouting that she can't do in a school enviroment, but maybe these teachers can work with a different section than the one they teach, or be assissted by parents who want to get to know their children better!
    Heron
    Parent - ex Beaver Leader, District Beaver Leader, TA and ESL

Renouf Design
    Explore the New Forest

Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks
    there's two styles of Scouting you have what we all do and love Scouting with a Capital "S" with all the bells and whistles and there's scouting with a small "s" this where they use method and principle of Scouting but with out the use of the uniform and all the ceremony and not part of the movement as members. some schools would probably prefer to do it that way.

But there are some schools that say do Scouting say on a Friday afternoon where the YP come in with there uniform on and do scouting activities run by the classroom assistance as the leaders while the teachers do some marking or such like.

so it can work you just have to think out of the Scouting box we all know.
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    GSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    County Media Manager Northamptonshire
    Web & Communications for
    www.northantsscouts.org.uk
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk
    Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Mayfield, Staffordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Aah, Joe, bless you. I needed that laugh!

We do a leaflet drop to the local primary schools when we get low on kids, once every blue moon, and we advertise in the papers when we get low on adults, all the ****** time! Each Group is different. I would love to have closer ties to the schools in our area and we have several teachers, TA's on our team and they provide an escellent resource and knowledge base to counterpart our 'traditional' Scouting knowledge.
    GSL 1st Mayfield Scout Group
    And general dogsbody

Ecamp 2008/2009

Mayfield, Staffordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    I couldprobably split my Cub Pack almost in half with kids whose parents use us as a babysitting service, at least to start with. And that's just my 30 out of 120. Ok, NOW the kids want to come, but definatly to start with it's a parent thing. At least, it is at that age.
    Strange, but not so much at Beavers!
    GSL 1st Mayfield Scout Group
    And general dogsbody

Ecamp 2008/2009

Thanks
    So, what's wrong with teachers being leaders? Scouting is not totally different to teaching, and so long as they don't try to create a classroom type environment of kids sat in rows, putting their hands up to answer questions while the leader is up front lecturing them, where's the problem?

The working relationship that I have with the scouts is totally different to the one at work - even though I see some at both.
    Richard Cullen
    Fakenham Lancaster Baden-Powell Air Scouts

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    i think teachers probably are the best leaders! but....an issue MIGHT arise in school (authority wise - first name terms at scouts, 'sir' at school)

also, the idea of going from school, then back with your teacher again....doesn't quite sound nice to me!

and what if they had homework in for you the next day do you send them home, or make sure you have some spare sheets!!

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    I provide support at school to one of my Cubs, so in school I'm 'Mrs', at Cubs I'm Akela. I was a school dinner lady in one of my feeder schools, but the kids managed to split the two. My neighbour manages to call me Heather at home, Akela at cubs and 'Mrs' as school. OK, at times they call me the wrong thing, but on the whole it's polite!