Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badge requirements

Thanks

Badge requirements

I'm sure you're all aware there are many badges which share some of the same requirements. Being quite new to being a CSL I'm still a little unsure where it is and is not ok to use the same activity etc to fulfill the requirements for different badges.
    For example if teaching emergency aid I would repeat the elements in stage 2 which appear in stage 1, however if completeing a hike I would count the same hike for the hikes away badge and for the Adventure badge or Outdoor challenge if it was a new activity for the Cub.
    However my GSL has told me that I shouldn't do this and that a hike cannot count towards 2 badges.
    My question to you is, am I ok to use my own judgement in fulfilling badge requirements or is there in fact a rule to the oppsite?
    What do other people do?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I'm sure you're all aware there are many badges which share some of the same requirements. Being quite new to being a CSL I'm still a little unsure where it is and is not ok to use the same activity etc to fulfill the requirements for different badges.
    For example if teaching emergency aid I would repeat the elements in stage 2 which appear in stage 1, however if completeing a hike I would count the same hike for the hikes away badge and for the Adventure badge or Outdoor challenge if it was a new activity for the Cub.
    However my GSL has told me that I shouldn't do this and that a hike cannot count towards 2 badges.
    My question to you is, am I ok to use my own judgement in fulfilling badge requirements or is there in fact a rule to the oppsite?
    What do other people do?
    just go with the flow... tick off as much or as little as you want... do as many or as few badges as you want...

fiddle the requirements to fit in with your programme if needed but keep to the spirit

Mayfield, Staffordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    If the hike covers the requirements for both, then according to your GSL they will only get one. So does that mean that if they go on camp they can either get their Adventure Challenge OR their nights away? That's just stoopid. Let me elaborate.
    We are doing a joint sleepover with another Beaver Colony for the BT Sleepover. By the end of it they will have achieved:
    Nights Away 1
    Hikes Away 1 - we are going for a walk
    2 parts of their Friendship Challenge
    1 part of the Fitness Challenge
    And will have completed their Outdoor Challenge.
    All this is achieved by packing their rucksack, doing the sleepover with another colony and going on the walk.
    Obviously, this is down to me and it is my decision that it will count for all this. I do know however that we will struggle to do another sleepover till next year, same with activities with another Colony. This is the first sleepover we have had and is the first time many of these 6yr olds will have slept away from home. I feel that it is all a abig enough Challenge for them for them to recieve the recognition for it.
    At the end of the day, POR states that leaders discretion is advised in all cases. If you feel that they deserve it, give it them! You answer to the kids, not the GSL. I wouldn't award Stage 1 of anything if you are going in at Stage 2, simply because I couldn't afford to give out all the badges! If you start them at Stage 2, that's what they get unless they want to buy the badge for their blanket.

Sorry, rant over.
    GSL 1st Mayfield Scout Group
    And general dogsbody

Ecamp 2008/2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
    I believe that activites can generally count for more than one badge if they meet the requirements for more than one badge. Where this is not true it is usually clearly indicated in the badge requirements e.g.
    Cub Scout Badges: Outdoor Plus Challenge

Spend two nights away on a residential experience with other Cub Scouts (these nights should be in addition to Nights Away used for the Outdoor Challenge but do not have to be consecutive).
    Last edited by shiftypete; 03-06-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I agree , i like the idea of badge requirements overlapping and use that fact on some activities as a positive for doing certain activities. This gives the kids more encouragment to do it. I am quite strict on the staged activity badges , but use my discretion on the others.
    On a different point, but regarding rewarding the kids. This year i have purcharsed a new trophy for the pack.We have a cub scout of the year trophy and a couple of years ago we puchased a trophy we call The Cub Scout Spirit award" for the kids who have shown the scouting spirit and stuck at things, pushed themselves outside their comfort zone etc. But i have felt there has been a need for a trophy to reward the kid/kids in the pack who blend into the background, who are always well behaved , never gripe about anything and are often overlooked. So i have purchased a trophy i will be calling "The Cub Scout Promise Award" for cubs who do their best and duty and are always well behaved.

Thanks
    Ask your GSL where it says that and if he can show you then can you tell the rest of us. Our Cub pack multi-ticks and no one has ever complained.
    In Scouting, some leaders give out badges with the cornflakes, some require blood sweat and tears and some don't believe in badges at all. We operate on the "If you've done it then here's the badge" and most of the Cubs try hard to get an armful. If the Cub believes that they have earned the badge then it means something to them. Isn't there something about encouraging in the aims of the movement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    just go with the flow... tick off as much or as little as you want... do as many or as few badges as you want...

fiddle the requirements to fit in with your programme if needed but keep to the spirit
    I agree with this - the requirements are guidelines only
    Dave Stockford
    Holy Trinity Cubs - Yeovil District
    Southern Stars SASU

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airobat View Post
    Ask your GSL where it says that and if he can show you then can you tell the rest of us. Our Cub pack multi-ticks and no one has ever complained.
    In Scouting, some leaders give out badges with the cornflakes, some require blood sweat and tears and some don't believe in badges at all. We operate on the "If you've done it then here's the badge" and most of the Cubs try hard to get an armful. If the Cub believes that they have earned the badge then it means something to them. Isn't there something about encouraging in the aims of the movement.
    This arose when on camp last week. I was updating my records and just talking to the GSL as I went. When I came to ticking off the requirements for the Outdoor Challenge she asked what the Cubs had done. When I included the hike, as several of the Cubs had only been with us a short time it was in fact a new activity for them, she stated that I should not in that case also include it for the Hikes Away.
    My thought was that these YP would be very disappointed not to get their Hikes Away badge when they had clearly done a hike. The alternative was not to award the Outdoor Challenge. Considering the effort which the Cubs put into the camp and activities I felt this was also unfair.
    To be honest I had every intention of ignoring her, but just wondered what others thought.

Thanks
    I would award both badges -
    The logic of not awarding one or the other would suggest that nights away for the outdoor challenge do not count for nights away badges ....
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    I would count the same item for both a Challenge badge and an activity badge, e.g. design and build a model, counts for both Creative challenge and Artist. I don't accept stuff they have brought from school, although they can use that knowledge to do something similiar.
    Hobbies badge is an awkward one, although in Scouts is definately states 'for activities that don't fit under any other badge'; so I don't accept rugby for that, but point them towards Physical Recreation or Sports Enthusist.
    The Hikes Away and Nights Away badges are there to encourage those who do either very few or lots of either, as most of the other badges only ask for a limited number to complete them.

Thanks
    If an acticvity qualifies then I count it.
    The only exceptions are where people don't complete the activity, two cubs complained constantly on a hike, we had gone about 100 yds when one said she was too tired to go on and could I get the car to take her back. They walked about a mile further before we decided to take them back. Didin't finish the hike, doesn't count towards hikes away, even though at the pace they walked back they were out for the required time.

The emercency aid, where it does state fairly clearly that you must cover the subject matter for each stage, so to do Stage 2 you must go over Stage 1 stuff.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boveybaloo View Post
    I agree , i like the idea of badge requirements overlapping and use that fact on some activities as a positive for doing certain activities. This gives the kids more encouragment to do it. I am quite strict on the staged activity badges , but use my discretion on the others.
    On a different point, but regarding rewarding the kids. This year i have purcharsed a new trophy for the pack.We have a cub scout of the year trophy and a couple of years ago we puchased a trophy we call The Cub Scout Spirit award" for the kids who have shown the scouting spirit and stuck at things, pushed themselves outside their comfort zone etc. But i have felt there has been a need for a trophy to reward the kid/kids in the pack who blend into the background, who are always well behaved , never gripe about anything and are often overlooked. So i have purchased a trophy i will be calling "The Cub Scout Promise Award" for cubs who do their best and duty and are always well behaved.
    Our Cub Pack has an award for the kid you all have: You know hte one, they always try hard and then manage to stuff it up at the last minute by doing something stoopid!

Thanks
    If you look in the new Programme Plus guides from HQ, it tells you that some of the plans they provide qualify sometimes for two or more challenge and/or activity badges. I think if your cubs manage to complete all their challenge badges in say 2 years, and not in 6 months, then your ticking the right boxes at the right speed. I had some of my Beavers abseiling at a recent day visit to a camp, so I ticked Outdoor Challenge (Visit) off and one of their Adventure Activity requirements.

By the way, I never tell my GSL what I'm doing, and she's spot on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If an acticvity qualifies then I count it.
    The only exceptions are where people don't complete the activity, two cubs complained constantly on a hike, we had gone about 100 yds when one said she was too tired to go on and could I get the car to take her back. They walked about a mile further before we decided to take them back. Didin't finish the hike, doesn't count towards hikes away, even though at the pace they walked back they were out for the required time.

The emercency aid, where it does state fairly clearly that you must cover the subject matter for each stage, so to do Stage 2 you must go over Stage 1 stuff.

I'm with you, and many of the others replying to this topic. If they want to gain a badge they have to earn it, but equally if they take part fully in all we offer they will be earning some as they go. If they turn up and don't take (to the best of their ability) part then they don't get the badge.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Along with most people, if they do the work/activity then they deserve to have that credited against however many badges it applies to. The bigger problem these days is working out just how many badges some things apply to.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk