View Poll Results: Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, direct to leaders?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

101 85.59%
  • No

10 8.47%
  • Don't Know

7 5.93%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, direct to leaders?

Thanks
    The reason I voted NO is that we have a good badge secretary, every day badges are normally in stock and can be picked up on a Tuesday night, or posted out, whichever is easier for the Leader. When badges are not in stock she can normaly have them within 2 or 3 weeks, which isn't a problem. In addition the sale of badges brings 10% of the cost back into the district funds. If your district system doesn't work the kick ass until it does.
    As a leader I would also add that if you have planned your program in advance you should know what and how many badges you are going to need and can be ordered in advance so thay are waiting for the YP to comlete the work.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjames View Post
    As a leader I would also add that if you have planned your program in advance you should know what and how many badges you are going to need and can be ordered in advance so thay are waiting for the YP to comlete the work.
    I would disagree in that the bulk of badges I award come from kids who have earned the badge on their own - there is no way to forecast how many or which badges! True, we do work on some during our meetings and these can be forecasted but that only represents two, maybe three badges per youth. I also think that waiting two, three or four weeks for a badge is too long for Cub and Beaver aged children.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisuk View Post
    my backpack is firstly a leaders database but will at some point when all the leader and appointments side of it is sorted and working to a point then they will strart the YP side of it properly and that would me the badge side of it as well so lets wait and see.
    A little off topic I know but interesting to hear folk mention my backpack!! Is anyone else having trouble with it?? At the moment mine wont even let me amend my e-mail address?? Grr!!!

I think it would be great idea if you could input YP's Badge Progress into it, especially useful if a YP was to move District I would have thought - save their being any doubt what they had/had not done - just log-in and see!!

As for the Scouts Shops and badges....leaders are volunteers so surely anything that may make it easier for them and make the system more efficient has to be a good thing, in my opnion!
    Last edited by Mad dog; 07-07-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Had more to say lol
    Catch you all later,

David

Assistant Cub Scout Leader - 2nd (Kingsmills)
    Highland's and Islands Region Chairman
    Trustee of The Scout Association and Board Member (2009 - 2011)
    Aberdeen SSAGO (An Honorary Member now - yikes!)

Thanks
    The best thing about our badge secretary is the fact that the group has an account with the shop - so they just bill the treasurer direct.

Thanks
    But you can have an account with some of the online shops, who they send you an invoice and which the treasuererpays direct..... only difference I can see is the badge arrive in the post
    Heron
    Parent - ex Beaver Leader, District Beaver Leader, TA and ESL

Renouf Design
    Explore the New Forest

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heron View Post
    But you can have an account with some of the online shops, who they send you an invoice and which the treasuererpays direct..... only difference I can see is the badge arrive in the post
    Thats how we do it. The only problem is we cannot get the district/county badges online and have to go to the badge secretary for them - phone call to arrange (in)convenient time, car journey of several miles (there goes the environment) and payment by cheque only(another journey to see the group treasurer).

I suspect that most Badge Secretaries have got better things to do with their time as well.

Simon

Thanks
    Our badge secretary is the best he keeps 25 of every badge in stock, runs group accounts - sends the bill the treasurer, and he puts the badges through my door before my next meeting (mostly same day as order if I put it in his door on way to work).

If he can do this,and he is in his 80's, why cant every district ! ! !

(I know he is one in a million)
    Craig

Scout Leader, 70th Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Hampshire South East Shooting Advisor
    Hampshire Training Advisor

Thanks
    I would love to buy my badges online - currently I have to drive to local town, find a parking space on a saturday morning (nightmare) and then find cash to pay for all my badges, neckers etc.

Half the time they dont have what I need or they moan because Im taking 24 of badge X and cant I phone to order them in advance?

(which I dont understand, because if I take 10 and someone else comes in for 10 and a third person comes in for 5, then they will have taken all the stock anyway - what does it matter if I take them all in one hit, or if they are taken in drib and drabs?)

So yes, my petrol, time and money for parking, the inconvinience of having to find cash for badges....Id much rather order online, it would be uch much much cheaper and stress free.

Im sure the scout shops do not make a massive profit on badges anyway - do they? Surely their profit comes from items like uniform and all those desirable sundries that we never knew we needed....

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Im sure the scout shops do not make a massive profit on badges anyway - do they? Surely their profit comes from items like uniform and all those desirable sundries that we never knew we needed....
    I think the selling price is a 10% mark-up - e.g. the 44p badges are bought by them for 40p.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    I've always just bought our badges direct fom Glasgow Scout Shop but then its close to me. The fact that you dont have to be a warranted leader is a help for us and allows parents to be asked to go and pick up badges, especially those that work near the shop.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    I use Glasgow Scout Shop too - the online service. I usually drop them an e-mail first to check that they have what I want and they've never let me down yet - not even last week when I wanted 18 Mechanic Badges!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skip.1sthw View Post
    Our badge secretary is the best he keeps 25 of every badge in stock, runs group accounts - sends the bill the treasurer, and he puts the badges through my door before my next meeting (mostly same day as order if I put it in his door on way to work).

If he can do this,and he is in his 80's, why cant every district ! ! !

(I know he is one in a million)
    Because not many districts will have an 80 year old hanging around waiting to be asked also he may not have anything else to do and uses this as a way of meeting and chatting to others
    Dave Stockford
    Holy Trinity Cubs - Yeovil District
    Southern Stars SASU

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad dog View Post
    A little off topic I know but interesting to hear folk mention my backpack!! Is anyone else having trouble with it?? At the moment mine wont even let me amend my e-mail address?? Grr!!!
    You think that's bad, Backpack won't let me change my name from "Donald" (real name) to Don as I am known to millions!!

Only my mother, god rest her, ever called me Donald.

Oh, and one of my scouts in a rather foolish moment, he later regretted!!

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    You think that's bad, Backpack won't let me change my name from "Donald" (real name) to Don as I am known to millions!!

Only my mother, god rest her, ever called me Donald.

Oh, and one of my scouts in a rather foolish moment, he later regretted!!

I know that problem. Apparently they won't change it.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Backpack still has my Carlisle telephone number, left there nearly 13 years ago !! Also interesting , various "officials" have been unable to find any record of me being in Carlisle, or even Cumbria. Be amussing if they tried phoning me !