View Poll Results: Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, direct to leaders?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

101 85.59%
  • No

10 8.47%
  • Don't Know

7 5.93%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Scout Shops (www.scoutshops.com) sell ALL badges, direct to leaders?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duncangray View Post
    Backpack still has my Carlisle telephone number, left there nearly 13 years ago !! Also interesting , various "officials" have been unable to find any record of me being in Carlisle, or even Cumbria. Be amussing if they tried phoning me !
    I think that is one of the things you can change.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Definately as badges sometimes take so long to arrive from the secretary as their stocks are low. And more importantly kids as young as Beavers and Cubs get great pleasure out of their badges and certificates, so like to get them straight away it is all part of their sense of achievement.
    AND of course it would save me getting 'when is my son/daughter going to get their badge have you forgotten i handed in the forms and asked for it weeks ago!!!!'
    wavydavy

Thanks
    I can fully understand why many many people would vote yes. I gather i am in the rare situation of having a really good badge secretary, who sends out badges very quickly, and keeps a decent stock level of every badge. May just be one of the advantages of living in a "small" District.

Thanks
    I will go along with Graham that a good badge secretary is a benifit but I think the problem stretches beyound this, most badge secretaries are funded by District I believe so you need a District Treasurer who responds to requests for checks so that badges can be ordered, In a lot of cases this probably isn't a top priority. The outlay on badges can be high even for a District that is not over active, its all stock and money tied up. Add to this TSA "sudden" changes of badges, no warning it is coming so badge secretaries can get left with useless badges because few people want the old badges once new ones are launched so they don't want to carry a stock. Scout shops have the advantage of a l arge organisation behind them, they know when things are going to change and can adjust stocks accordingly which is why some things suddenly go out of stock just before a new item is released. So don't be too hard on your badge secretaries its not always their fault.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    Interesting I would have never guessed it was such a pain in the UK and i thought it was a pain here in the USA. All we have to do is fill out a advancement report and have one of our leaders take the long drive across the city to the Scout Shop and pick up the badges or if rural they can be ordered online or through the catalog.
    Scott Robertson
    http://twitter.com/insanescouter
    http://insanescouter.org
    Helping leaders on resource at a time....

Thanks
    How do make a website on this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dazatron View Post
    How do make a website on this.

Did you mean to post this on the same thread as the poll?
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks

Thumbs up Yes and sponsore badges are a must

I vote a big YES. I have worked hard in ensuring that the Beavers in my colony get rewarded for the hard work they put into their badges. It frustrates me like hell that I struggle to get the right badges from the badge secretary. It is not their fault mind you; I have found that the change in badges by the scout Association and general lack of a clue by the Scout Association on "Sponsored badges" is where it starts. The Jetix, Hot wheels and National Maritime Museum explorer badge to name a few that have been impossible to get hold of. I actually had the NMM Explorer badges made up by a badge company at some cost may I, to enable me to present them at the National Maritime Museum.

YiS
    Darren
    "Toad"
    www.1ststubbingtonbeavers.co.uk
    Toad

Thanks
    I voted yes!

The shop where we order our badges from is shocking, they very very rarley have any in stock and when i place an order for any it takes months for us to recieve them!

I recieved a huge order from Scout Shops Online the other day, it came really quicky and ordering online is just so much easier!

Thanks
    would help make life easier

Thanks
    I think an issue here is how much money do the host group make from their scout shop activities. How much is tied up in stock and what happens to stock when there's a badge change?

If its a good net fundraiser then let it be, but if its being done just as a service then maybe an online/telephone ordering service would be a better way to go as leaders could get the obscure stuff or anything else by return.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Vaugely remember this poll went it first came out. I didn't vote then as I wasn't involved with a group at the time and my need for badges was rarer than hen's teeth!

Very interesting to read through all the posts and see the points raised. Given the choice, I'd now vote yes, as although my section leaders do a wonderful job, and our Badge Sec (who is also a Scouter) is fantastically helpful there are times when he struggles to get badges quickly, and I'd happily order on-line to go and present them (as I'm being asked to do for most badges now

One interesting point raised was the planning of badges required. Both my CSL & SL have already ordered (and got hold of) badges for the work they've planned for this term - but then the GSL goes n pokes his oar in!!

At the 1st meeting back after christmas I set every youth member in the group the challenge to go and work on a badge away from their section meeting. This in theory could mean 24 -30 individual badges will need to be ordered by big mouth here in time for easter!!

My final point is that everyone (including HQ) acknowledges that the time Scouters & other adults give as volunteers is precious - to my mind it therefore follows that aything that makes best use of that time (i.e. on-line badge ordering) would be a good thing.
    Richard Sams "Doughboy"

Thanks
    My wife is Badge Secretary for our District and always tries to get orders turned around in a week. She usually has about £1,000 of badges in stock, but this doesn't mean that she will always have enough of every badge. Having said that HQ itself normally delivers badges within a week. All that said I'm sure my wife would be more than happy for badges to be ordered direct, however I think this would be a major logistical and manpowers issue. At the moment there are about 902 Scout Districts ordering badges from Scout Shops in bulk, imagine if that changed to say 12,500 sections sending in orders for 4 of this and 10 of that! Scout Shops would have to employ a lot more staff (and pass on the costs) to replace the hardworking and unpaid Badge Secretaries!
    EDDIE WARD
    Ayers Explorer Scout Leader www.AyersExplorerScouts.org
    Reivers District Deputy District Commissioner www.ReiversDistrict.org
    Ratlingate Scout Campsite Manager www.Ratlingate.co.uk
    Cumbria County MDM www.cumbriascouts.org.uk
    Cumbria County Leader of Ambassador & Luminary Relationships www.cumbriascouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duncangray View Post
    Backpack still has my Carlisle telephone number, left there nearly 13 years ago !! Also interesting , various "officials" have been unable to find any record of me being in Carlisle, or even Cumbria. Be amussing if they tried phoning me !
    Duncan - I can try to help you if you wish, I have been a leader in Carlisle for 20 years and am a member of the District Executive. Apologies I don't remember you, which group were you a leader at? If you can send me some more info I'll speak to the District Secretary and see what records we can find.
    EDDIE WARD
    Ayers Explorer Scout Leader www.AyersExplorerScouts.org
    Reivers District Deputy District Commissioner www.ReiversDistrict.org
    Ratlingate Scout Campsite Manager www.Ratlingate.co.uk
    Cumbria County MDM www.cumbriascouts.org.uk
    Cumbria County Leader of Ambassador & Luminary Relationships www.cumbriascouts.org.uk

Thanks
    yes if they can enter their wood beads number. I did get an email from another district who has set up an online shop for selling badges

Del
    Derek Chambers,