Thread: Office 2007

Thanks

Office 2007

I need office to produce newsletters & presentations for my Area. Have searched around and Amazon are offering Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence) for £65

Anyone know if it's any good, I have read that it doesn't include full versions and that when it says included powerpoint it's only the viewer, is this correct??

Anyone reccommend the home edition?

Thanks
    Not sure but for discounts try here (if you have anyone in education in the family). We have used used for software for our children.
    [url]http://www.software4students.co.uk/[/url]
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    [quote=johnsy;78155]I need office to produce newsletters & presentations for my Area. Have searched around and Amazon are offering Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence) for £65

Anyone know if it's any good, I have read that it doesn't include full versions and that when it says included powerpoint it's only the viewer, is this correct??

Anyone reccommend the home edition?[/quote]

I would check if your employer has any agreement with microsoft, for example. NHS Employees can use 1 licence free for Office 2007 Premium free (well for the cost of the media £18). Some companies have similar arrangements.

Thanks
    Royal Bank of Scotland employees are also offered similar to what Richard has described and at about the same cost I think. I don't know what Richard means by the 'Premium' version but the scheme through RBS offers the Enterprise Edition. They call it the Home Use Program (HUP) and it is available to a lot of the large companies.

Citnexus is also a good company to order from , they offer both charity and student discount.
    [URL="http://www.citnexus.co.uk/"]http://www.citnexus.co.uk/[/URL]

If you really want to save some money and the scout group is going to purchase it for themselves, then take a look at the [URL="http://www.ctxchange.org/ctt"]Charity Technology Exchange[/URL]. Here you can get Office Professional Plus for just £10 + VAT. We had to register but the savings are immense!
    Will
    5th Urmston Scout Group
    www.5thurmstonscouts.com

Thanks
    Microsoft Home Use licenses are available to employees of companies with current Microsoft Software Assurance Volume License agreements for office products
    Chris Clifford
    ADC(Activities) Beauvale, Notts
    SL 1st Brinsley (St. James)

Thanks
    Going by the back of Office2007 pro box the Powerpoint programmes is the same in Pro as it is in Home/student versions. theres no disclaimer to say its just the viewer
    Dave Stockford
    Holy Trinity Cubs - Yeovil District
    Southern Stars SASU

Thanks
    [quote=William;78188]Royal Bank of Scotland employees are also offered similar to what Richard has described and at about the same cost I think. I don't know what Richard means by the 'Premium' version but the scheme through RBS offers the Enterprise Edition. [/quote]

Yeah sorry its enterprise I have, premium was a previous version of office ;)

Thanks
    Why go to ANY expense for Office unless you want to [B][U]write[/U][/B] Access Databases? (and I develop MS DB's).

[url]www.openoffice.org[/url] It's free and is compatible with Office. Docx documents can be opened online at Microshaft, copied and pasted into OO Writer. I believe compatability is on it's way.

If you [B][U]use[/U][/B] MS Access databases such as that offered FREE by [URL="http://www.warkcom.net/live/welcome.asp?id=542"]Leamington District Scouts to record progress, subs etc [/URL]*shameless plug* then you can get the [URL="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d9ae78d9-9dc6-4b38-9fa6-2c745a175aed&DisplayLang=en"]runtime from MS direct[/URL] for FREE.

Thanks
    Agree with the open office suggestion. It is damn good and free!
    Last edited by kezzy; 17-07-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    We only have 2 rules in our group:
    Rule 1 - I'm the Boss and
    Rule 2 - if in doubt refer to Rule #1

Member of 9th Irene BOAST jediwannabe's Avatar
    Thanks
    OpenOffice.org is really good. I use it for all my documentation (being a final year electronic engineering student, that is quite a lot of documentation). I generally find it easier and better then Office (I can't stand the new menu thing in Office07).

OpenOffice 3 is due out later in the year and will include docx support. In the mean time, MS has a free Office07 -> Office03 converter that you can download from them, I also believe that there is a extension for OpenOffice 2 that adds support for the 2007 files.
    Assistant Troop Scouter for 9th Irene Air Scouts
    Developer for the Infinitas CMS

Thanks
    Im still using office 2003. Tried the 07 beta and removed it within 1/2 hour.

Thanks
    [quote=David;78228]Im still using office 2003. Tried the 07 beta and removed it within 1/2 hour.[/quote]

To me there is little justified need to go to office 2007, if you are on 2000 or above. There is some nice stuff, but not essential (or worth hard earned cash)

From what I've seen of openoffice it would suit most peoples needs and its free.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=johnmcmahon;78224]Why go to ANY expense for Office unless you want to [B][U]write[/U][/B] Access Databases? (and I develop MS DB's).

[/QUOTE]

I cant get on with Access 2007... yet
    Rotherfield District Explorer Scout Administrator

New and Improved euancrooks.co.uk http://www.euancrooks.co.uk