View Poll Results: Does your Scout Group do gift aid?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 84.00%
  • No

4 16.00%
  • Dont Know

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your Scout Group do gift aid?

Thanks
    It certainly can - up to 6 years
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    Indeed We Do!

Thanks
    Yes we/I do. we have around 60 YP and even allowing for those that don't pay tax our income is boosted by nearly £1000 a year, that allows serious work to be carried out on our hut without having to increase subs. This year we are replacing windows and hopefully sofits etc. Once everything is set up it only takes a couple of hours to do. Its almost oney for nothing.
    I use a spreadsheet for subs which transfers the gift aid amounts to a seperate spreadsheet and don't forget any sponsored events qualify too.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    Hi all

We do use Gift Aid - a great thing... glad the government does something right! (only kidding!)

What i am wondering though, is - we have never done the backdating thing. Do you need to get the parents from three years ago to sign a form, or is it taken from accounts?

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    Hi all

We do use Gift Aid - a great thing... glad the government does something right! (only kidding!)

What i am wondering though, is - we have never done the backdating thing. Do you need to get the parents from three years ago to sign a form, or is it taken from accounts?

Bob
    It depends on what your form says

Contributions can be backdated for up to 6 years prior to the date of the declaration provided the donation was made since 6 April 2000.

We usually have the clause on our forms "treat any contributions that have been made since 6 April 2000" see here for an example http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/appendix_b1.htm
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    i've heard about Gift Aid and i always tick the box on any dontaions i give to Charity , but i did n't know we could claim it !!
    What exactly would it cover ? just donations to the group or the weekly subs as well ?
    I'm not sure if we do it or not ... i'll see the GSL tonight and ask him

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    It covers subs and any donations
    Have a look at this factsheet for more details
    http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/...s/fs190006.pdf

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    It covers subs and any donations
    Have a look at this factsheet for more details
    http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/...s/fs190006.pdf
    You can also gift aid any camps that you do. As I have found out in our last Exec meet. As long as you get the parents to tick the box on your PC form (you just need to add something that the bottom of the form)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcollins171 View Post
    You can also gift aid any camps that you do. As I have found out in our last Exec meet. As long as you get the parents to tick the box on your PC form (you just need to add something that the bottom of the form)

Is that if you ask for a fee or does it only apply if you ask for a donation?

Louise
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Is that if you ask for a fee or does it only apply if you ask for a donation?

Louise
    It works on the payment for the camp. So you can clam on the income that you get from the parents. That is how I understand it. We are looking in to it now, i will get back to you when I know more

Thanks
    You need to be careful claiming back Gift Aid on camps as you can only claim Gift Aid on donations NOT when something is being paid for.

A clear example of this is museums that ask for a donation for entry, they can claim gift aid on this but if they charge an entrance fee, i.e. not voluntary, then they can not claim gift aid on that.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    how can that be right? aren't subs fees set by TSA? therefore they shouldn't be covered!

Thanks
    First things first, Subs are not set by the TSA they are set by each individual group, this amount should cover capitation paid to the TSA, district and county levies etc.
    As you will see from the revenue paperwork, and from all those claiming gift aid, subs are covered by the gift aid scheme and you can reclaim the tax paid by a TAX PAYER.
    If you decided that you want to reclaim for the last 6 tax years then you need to make certain that you can support the claim, signed forms, records of payments made, banking details etc.
    Regarding the camp question, we are doing a sponsored hike and camp in June, we know the cost and any short fall the group will cover (hopefully not), and we are throwing in a prize(s) for the person raising the most sponsorship. This I am certain will come within the gift aid scheme. I would not want to do the same for our main summer camp as gift aid can only be claimed on things over and above cost made as a donation. To achieve amximum attendance we cut costs to the bone, so no real profit margin is aimed at, the time and effort required to do the returns on a "few" pounds wouldn't be worth the effort. If we did it as a sponsored camp then I run a serious risk of loosing money, if I put a figure on it then it is no longer sponsored. I wouldn't want the agro of trying to justify a camp on a gift aid form to the revenue, or the damage it could do to the group. Be very carefull because it could backfire.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    From the Revenue and Customs site at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/gui...ectionf.htm#au
    There is a statutory requirement, under Gift Aid, for payments to be gifts. This means that payments that are made to acquire goods or services are not eligible for Gift Aid. However, there are rules within the Gift Aid legislation that allow charities to provide donors with token benefits, within specified limits, in recognition of their gifts.

Strictly, membership subscriptions are not gifts, they are made to gain access to the facilities and services provided by the charity. However, we are prepared to treat membership subscriptions paid to charities as if they were gifts if they meet the conditions below. These payments will, of course, still have to satisfy the benefit rules referred to above.

The conditions referred to are:

* that the payments do no more than secure membership of the charity
    * that the payments do not secure a right to personal use of any facilities or services provided by the charity

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Have checked with our GSL and it seems we are Gift Aid registered and have been for a short while ...... however , it seems that when the word came back that we had it , it was also accompanied by a load of paperwork ( which in normal fashion has never been read!! ) and no one could quite understand what the heck to do with it ...... so it looks like since i asked last night , i might get the job of reading and trying to understand all the bumf !!

How hard is it to claim

Any help would be great as stuff like this fries my brain !!