Thread: Future Escouts Developments, the identity issue!!!

Thanks

Exclamation Future Escouts Developments, the identity issue!!!

As a number of you will be aware a right royal rumpus recently errupted regarding what people viewing the forum will and will not be able to see about a user on the forum after we have implemented the new systems.

Whilst the Escouts team, has made the statement below, I would like my own personal slight dissapointment to be noted on this. The people developing these new systems for the benefit of everyone are doing it for absolutely nothing. Thousands of pounds worth of coding, free. Whilst I can appreciate that the issues raised are important, we were talking about something that was not going to be implemented for months.

Following the further development of the systems, we will go into a testing phase, where the testers will test the coding and the processess etc. There is currently no live date for the new systems but, we have March 2009 pencilled in, this could change.

The following points have now been clarified by the Escouts Team, with thanks to the Systems Team.

• Under the new systems, no one will be forced to display their real name publically anywhere. (Users can opt out of showing their own names publically.)
    • Postcodes will not be collected for FORUM users, and by default their location, or rough location will NOT be displayed.
    • Postion & Group/unit information (as now) will be collected. However, users will be able to opt out of displaying this.
    • Extended details will be required for hosting orders (as now) but this will remain confidential

Thanks
    Thank you for the clarification Richard. While I remain technologically challenged, I don't profess to understand the changes to the systems or how they will benefit me (purely as a forum user). My concern is, will I be able to understand the changes when they do come in?? We are all wary of change, and this is an evolutionary caution. Just think of all those people busy inventing things in previous lifetimes who were as disappointed as you when their hard work was questioned and challenged. It pays off in the end and we all benefit, but some of us are naturally cautious and others are naturally cuious. I guess I come under the cautious category! We do appreciate you all, and your work, we just dont understand what it is you are trying to do!

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ......and by default their location, or rough location will NOT be displayed.
    I think this is a shame, Richard. One leader and two Scouts are joining us for JOTA thanks to the leader giving his location on and making me aware that a) He would like to see what goes on and b) that he was near enough for it to be practical for me to invite him and his Scouts. If I had not known his (rough) location, he and his Scouts would have missed out. (I rest my case).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    Thank you for the clarification Richard. While I remain technologically challenged, I don't profess to understand the changes to the systems or how they will benefit me (purely as a forum user). My concern is, will I be able to understand the changes when they do come in?? We are all wary of change, and this is an evolutionary caution. Just think of all those people busy inventing things in previous lifetimes who were as disappointed as you when their hard work was questioned and challenged. It pays off in the end and we all benefit, but some of us are naturally cautious and others are naturally cuious. I guess I come under the cautious category! We do appreciate you all, and your work, we just dont understand what it is you are trying to do!
    The new systems, in their first stage, will provide:

Escouts: Dashboard - will be a replacement for the homepage + other features
    Escouts: Community - Current forum, with new look to match the rest
    Escouts: Hosting - Ordering Hosting
    Escouts: Helpdesk - A helpdesk for Escouts services
    Escouts: Awards - Relaunched awards with a custom system.

ALL THIS WILL WORK USING PEOPLES CURRENT FORUM LOGIN. So 1 login!!

It is true, if you only use the forum, it won't make a huge amount of difference to you, it will help us and people with hosting be supported better, and for the Escouts Team to provide a better service.

I hope the Team statement reassures people that we will continue to listen to peoples views.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    I think this is a shame, Richard. One leader and two Scouts are joining us for JOTA thanks to the leader giving his location on and making me aware that a) He would like to see what goes on and b) that he was near enough for it to be practical for me to invite him and his Scouts. If I had not known his (rough) location, he and his Scouts would have missed out. (I rest my case).
    This is actually no change. If people want to publically display where they are from, they can.

If they don't they will not be forced to.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This is actually no change.
    Exactly. I was all for change on this one!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    Exactly. I was all for change on this one!
    Me too

I understood the issues of displaying rough location and current main position but IMHO the benefits outweighed these

Still I am looking forward to the new systems being implemented

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    The thing is that we don't want to scare anyone away by all of a sudden forcing everyone too display a location! We are aware that there may be unknown issues that prevent people from displaying a location and we appreciate this. However, judging by the poll, most of you will display this information so there won't be a problem!!

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    Since the forum is "My Thing" in the development, I think ill explain what exactly you will be forced to display

Username

Thats it

Other optional things will include
    Group/Unit
    Main Scouting role (You have the option to pick as many as you have been roped into)
    Location (Down to County level)

The systems will allow the Team to offer a far more effective support structure, The forum will hopefully be easier to navigate (Having been redesigned from the ground up) and will hopefully just make Escouts that bit easier to use!!!

Thanks
    out of interest, do you have a data protection policy ?

I like the changes - users choice and all that.
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Awards Team
    Thanks
    Not everyone will be happy to display such personal details, so I absolutely agree that it should be optional.

It would be a real shame if it was made compulsory and it put people off joining.
    Awards Team
    Twittering: Here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    out of interest, do you have a data protection policy ?

I like the changes - users choice and all that.
    Our policies are currently being reviewed, they need streamlined, frankly. That said we do adhere to the data protection policy, we don't pass on data, the data is secure etc.

Thanks
    I support the idea of it remaining optional to disclose anything more than a username, so I am pleased with this plan.

I am sure that very few people will choose to remain completely anonymous once they have used the Forum for a while, because the culture of the Forum is very much one of openness. However, I don't feel that anyone should be forced to disclose information if they don't wish to, particularly new users who need time to build up trust.

Also, we do have under-18s on here and, without wishing to offend them, in Scouting terms they are still seen as "children" and should be protected. (OK, guys, we know you're letting it all hang out on Bebo & MySpace, but this is the wonderful world of Scouting over here. Rules & regs, rules & regs. )
    Akela, 1st Tylers Hill

Yes, those are my legs - and my hiking boots too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Me too

I understood the issues of displaying rough location and current main position but IMHO the benefits outweighed these

Still I am looking forward to the new systems being implemented
    Agree with you on all that Shifty!

And just to pick up on something that Richard said - I know that I and I'm pretty sure everyone who uses the forum etc really appreciates the huge amount of totally voluntary work you and your team do often behind the sceanes (to users anyway) to keep developing new ideas and keep everything ticking! I know we don't often say it, but we do. Without you guys there would be no so thank you!
    Last edited by Mad dog; 07-10-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: word missing
    Catch you all later,

David

Assistant Cub Scout Leader - 2nd (Kingsmills)
    Highland's and Islands Region Chairman
    Trustee of The Scout Association and Board Member (2009 - 2011)
    Aberdeen SSAGO (An Honorary Member now - yikes!)