Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Akela?

Awards Team
    Thanks

Akela?

Opinions wanted:

Putting aside the traditional aspect of it, does the CSL need to be called Akela?
    Awards Team
    Twittering: Here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_S View Post
    Opinions wanted:

Putting aside the traditional aspect of it, does the CSL need to be called Akela?
    No. So long as the cubs give the respect that is due, they can be called whatever they like.

However, it would be my choice to use the title, I did when I was CSL.

Adrian

Thanks
    I changed from Hathi to Akela when I took over as CSL and there seems to be something very fitting to the role in taking the name. It's a name I'm proud of and it's a traditional thing in Scouting.
    Neil
    CSL (Gold Pack), 6th Selby (Brayton) Scout Group
    ACC (Cub Scouts) North Yorkshire
    Assistant Leader, North Yorkshire (NYVIK) Unit, 22WSJ Sweden 2011

Thanks
    When I took over as CSL last year the previous CSL wanted to retain the name Akela as she thought it would be less confusing for the Cubs.
    It only took one Grand Howl for her to realise she was wrong! I become Akela from the following week and she reverted to her old Cub name of Raksha.

Of course if your Pack is not following the Jungle Book theme there is no need to use any of the names. Personally I'd stick with tradition.

Thanks
    I think it defines the Cub Pack. It means that you are not a teacher from school, a sports coach or youth club leader. It means you are the leader of a cub pack.

Thanks
    It is the only "traditional" name that we use - all the other Leaders throughout the Group are simply addressed by their first name. When the kids join, I explain that they should call me Akela at Cubs, but Penny at any other time.

There is something about the tradition of it that I would be sad to lose, even though we don't go anywhere near the Jungle Book theme otherwise.
    Akela, 1st Tylers Hill

Yes, those are my legs - and my hiking boots too!

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_S View Post
    Putting aside the traditional aspect of it.......
    Why?

Thanks
    Have to agree with everyone else here, the Jungle Book theme is one of those great things that has stood the test of time - and will continue to do so. Why would you want to change that?

It was funny, a few months ago I was getting off the sleeper from London, and met one of my old Scouts, who I had as a Cub about twenty years ago. He didn't know my real name, and after struggling for a few minutes as to what to say, we just shook hands and he called me Akela! - him, in his suit at thirty years old!

Bob

Thanks
    Its a bit like my thread on Wood Badges. If you earned it USE it. I certainly would be Akela if I was CSL. There can only be one Akela in the Group so stop being embarrassed and enjoy it!!

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    I'm not called Akela.

The Cubs still do a Grand Howl and say, "Akela! We will do our best".

I always thought that I would want to be called Akela, but when I took over the pack, it didn't seem to fit.

To me Akela is a job title, I thought when my son came up from Beavers I might bring it in, but he calls me Bravo, which is my scouting nick name as do some of the cubs and the scouts, the rest call me Shaun.

I've spent too long in the military to see what you are called as a mark of respect, it is the way that they say it that imparts that - how many of you saw the office speak translater that did the rounds a few years ago, You are my boss and I respect you?

The major advantage of course is that on District and County events I can relax when the cry "Akela!" is yelled from somewhere on the site and all the other leaders leap like scalded cats.

At the end of the day, it is your pack, you can be called what you want.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Awards Team
    Thanks
    Thanks for the opinions guys.

Let me explain a little more.

We are currently talking about setting up a second pack in our group, with the current Akela moving over to take over that one. Therefore, one of the current leaders would need to become CSL of the 'old' pack.

There are a few things that have prompted me to ask this question:

1) Will it make any difference to the kids if there is no Akela?
    2) Will, when doing joint activities/camp having two Akela's confuse things?
    3) Will making the new CSL be called Akela automatically mean there are certain expectations? Would a fresh start/change be good for the pack with new ideas?

Not sure on this one - I know it seems quite a trivial thing to worry about, but in my view it's something quite important to get right.
    Awards Team
    Twittering: Here

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,506 Posts
    we have 2 packs and 2 akelas.

when one akela leaves after half term, the replacement will become akela. It is no more confusing than having 2 chrisses in the group. we have monday akela and tuesday akela if we need to distinguish.

Thanks
    Have you ever been to a big Cub event (district camp or similar) and shouted "akela!" at the top of your voice? Half the field will come running! Yes,it's confusing having more than one, but you adapt as necessary. We normally use first names if we need to, so Monday akela becomes akela Steve and Tuesday becomes akela Gary. Easy. The kids all know what their Akela's first name is because that's what the leaders call each other, they're not stupid.

As for setting expectations, yes, being Akela means you're in charge. But then, they knew that before they took the job on, didn't they?

I as CSL for a couple of terms a few years ago when we needed someone to fill a gap. The cubs called me akela. They aer now Scouts, I'm the SL, and some of them still call me akela...

Adrian

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Ah, that makes a difference! In 'The Jungle Book' Raksha is the mother wolf and 'wife' of Akela. I have heard it used for the Leader of a second pack!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    Ah, that makes a difference! In 'The Jungle Book' Raksha is the mother wolf and 'wife' of Akela. I have heard it used for the Leader of a second pack!
    I wonder how that works when you've got two male akelas? Who gets the short straw?