Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Uniform Debate......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    What does camp uniform consist of? Just interested as we wear old clothes in camp as they end up filthy and keep Uniform for trips out of camp.
    When we go on our week long summer camps we are often at provincial or national parks and do day trips to venues in the area. At camp kids wear shorts and T-shirts most of the time (They are cubs so unless I am after them they usually wear the same shorts and T-shirt all week!). What we have found though is that it is useful to have a camp T-shirt made up that they wear on our public outings. Has the dual advantage of letting the public know who we are and allows me to help track them in large crowds! Does not cost all that much and we just roll it into the camp fees.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjno View Post
    Full uniform for us is hat, shirt, scarf, shorts, scout-belt, long socks, garters and shoes and we wear it all the time (except when in camp uniform). I don't think hoodies will catch on here.
    You've got to show us a photo of you're uniform.

I personally am banned from wearing short by international treaty.

Remember; Some people are like "Slinky's". Worthless, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Mrs Chug has earnt her woodbeads

WWW.RAMILLIES-ESSU.ORG.UK

Thanks
    Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,436 Posts
    bpsa pics here (so not quite tdjno's lot)

http://www.traditionalscouting.co.uk/photo.htm

i love this one... (apols, i can't resize it)

lots of t-shirts and jeans and combats and all sorts in evidence though...

not all that different... or traditional!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    You've got to show us a photo of you're uniform.

I personally am banned from wearing short by international treaty.
    Please take a look at our website http://2ndgoringandstreatley.org.uk/ The website is very much under construction but should give you an idea.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjno View Post
    Please take a look at our website http://2ndgoringandstreatley.org.uk/ The website is very much under construction but should give you an idea.
    You're website looks good, how long until it's finished?

Your uniform is very similar to the BPSA, I especially like the colour of the Beaver uniform.

Remember; Some people are like "Slinky's". Worthless, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Mrs Chug has earnt her woodbeads

WWW.RAMILLIES-ESSU.ORG.UK

Thanks
    I had to wear shorts, long socks and garters when i was a cub and that was 1994-1997 and both the pack in town were full. We didn't have the caps though. I thought we always looked smart compared with the packs who wore trackie bottoms or jeans to events. It was a pain in winter though :S
    What do you care what other people think! - Richard P. Feynman

A person needs only three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If either doesn't work, use the hammer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    You're website looks good, how long until it's finished?

Your uniform is very similar to the BPSA, I especially like the colour of the Beaver uniform.
    Thanks, hope to get it 'finished' during Christmas.

Our uniform is the same really except we all wear cord shorts (not many B-PSA groups do at Scout age), the badges are slightly different, all the scouts have the 4-dent hat (most B-PSA groups have the beret) and the Scout shirt only has buttons half way down like the older shirts. Our beavers also have a grey cap rather than the wolf cub ones the B-PSA usually wear.

Beavers are a bit hard though as they didn't really exist in this country until after the APR but I think we have retro-fitted them quite well

Thanks
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
    Tdjno
    Just wondering; have you ever shown the young people and their parents the uniform in which we wear and asked them for their opinion? I would be interested in the different views and comments from everyone.

I personally didn’t realise that groups followed British Boy Scouts still and I guess it’s down to the local community and its culture. Do you mind me asking why you have decided this option and not modernise as the movement has moved on?
    Don't know yet, shall find out on a next meeting as we have an ex-SA lad attending.

We'll it is a long story, but I believe it is not moving on, but moving away from B-P's concept of scouting.

Thanks
    I have previously posted about the fact that I, as a female, dislike wearing my scout shirt to Beavers , as I find it (whispers) uncomfortable and not practical. I tried a polo shirt, which would no way fit me as it was for a mans proportions! I have now bought the Blue Beaver hoody, and just love it! I feel I fit in with my Beavers now, and look like them too. The Beaver uniform, a sweatshirt, is a casual look, and i now find I fit their look perfectly. I feel far more at ease, and I wear it with jeans and trainers too. I think kids today are far more casual, and I think they and their leaders should have a casual look for their weekly meetings. I'm more than happy to wear my shirt to parades though.

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by melliej43 View Post
    I think kids today are far more casual, and I think they and their leaders should have a casual look for their weekly meetings. I'm more than happy to wear my shirt to parades though.
    I favour a more casual approach to weekly uniform too However, my Scouts have got a bit too relaxed and sometimes when they take their uniform shirts off after flag break it looks like a youth club/scruffy which is not good. Ideally they are meant to wear Group t-shirts underneath their shirts but as they outgrow them they are not being replaced. To raise standards we are going to reissue a Group t-shirt to every Scout free of charge in the New Year (they are only £4 each and we have a large quantity in stock bought 3 years ago so not affecting our present day budget), so no excuses in future. I will be strict about this as well!

For me, I would quite like a long sleeved polo shirt for the Winter as its a softer and more comfortable material than the formal shirt.
    Last edited by Gadgette; 23-12-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: to make something clear
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!

Thanks
    I ask my Cubs to wear either the "official" green polo shirt OR a PLAIN WHTE tee or polo shirt under their jumpers if they need a second layer and if it gets very hot in the summer term they can wear these instead of their jumpers (because we're usually out of the hut and I don't want the problem of lost jumpers!). As plain white is easily and cheaply available I'm very strict about it. White also looks good with our scarves!
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks

uniform matters

Uniform is important, the detail of the uniform isn't. Quite frankly, if it's worth doing people will wear a duck suit if required. The old '59 uniform for scouts allowed a wide variety of colours for scouts. B-P originally referred to it as a 'scout's kit' on the thinking very much as a soldiers kit, sports kit, etc., i.e. the gear for doing an activity. Shorts are very practical (you don't play football in long trousers). Having said that so is a set of cammo for the sorts of things we do. The problem we have really is wether the uniform should be for 'smart' wear, parades and the like, or practical for camps and activities. Ideally we would have both but let's face it could we bear the cost.
    As a Sea Scout Leader I miss the flap pockets. (Ever leant over a jetty to help someone in a boat only hear your mobie phone/pens/ etc go splash ito the water). As for the blue trousers, I think it looks naff with a brown shirt, and certainly isn't the best colour for dealing with mud and dust. If I was a land scouter type I don't think I would be recommending them to my scouts.
    Personally, I am happy to let troops and groups wear what they want, time and votes with feet will see off the weak contenders, those groups doing it right will survive and we will be the better for it.
    We are lucky as Sea Scouts we have an inherently smart uniform, and a fairly stiff resistance in the branch to interference with it by those who would 'tinker' with it.
    I have seen the BPSA in both shorts and long trouser mode, I reckon they look smart. But rubbish troops be they SA or BPSA or BBS will not survive because they change their uniform, or keep it the same.
    Kids like uniforms. They buy their favourite teams football strip, they wear what their friends wear. It's about belonging. We as adults are the ones who get uptight about it, because we feel self conscious, and start to be apologetic about our uniform. The kids pick up these cues, and then start doubting the 'eliteness' of belonging to our team. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I don't do grunge, I like smartness. I sell that idea to my guys and gals, both in terms of the honour of being allowed to wear the uniform and in wearing it smartly. (I have to say I don't always succeed, but the principle is there and any departure by them is a failing).

Thanks
    I come from a background with the Woodcraft Folk (yes shock horror) and there 'uniform' is very much just a shirt with whatever else the child wants to wear. I have noticed over the past few years how like the woodcraft re scout uniform has become. And frankly I think it looks untidy. We have a full uniform and personally I think it should be enforced. Scouts so have a sense of pride in troops and it should be reflected in what they wear. Thy join knowing it exists.

Or the record I think the current uniform is ok it reflects the time we live in. Quality however is another issue. I have found my scout shirt to be uncomfortable, the collars are stiff and I regularly end up with marks on my neck from where it rubs. My polo shirt which states is a medium is huge (and I am not a small lass by any means) as for the trousers, well I will be taking pot luck on those as they have still to arrive

Uniforms are a great leveller they remove class distinction and make all scouts equal so it is important to maintain it. But it is also important to enforce it so that we can maintain that leveller.

I loved working with the woodcraft kids and I accepted their 'uniform' policy becase of who they were. But our scouts need to know they are a a part of something.

Just please do something about the quality and sizing

Apologies for sounding a bit stilted, posting on an iPhone and the keypad is a bit tricky with my fat thumbs

Thanks
    Interesting thread!

I'm affraid we take a fairly casual aproach to uniform too in my group.

The YPs are expected to arrive in uniform, but are allowed to take off jumpers after the opening ceremony.

For normal meetings, I tend to wear a leader's polo shirt with the necker. I'd rather keep the uniform shirt in good order for parades, investitures, outings etc. Having seen the amount of unremovable stains on my two polo shirts, this is the most practical choice, in my opinion.

For trousers, I find the ones supplied by my employer (Royal Mail) are near as damn it exactly the same colour as the official ones!