View Poll Results: What do you think of the Youth Edition of the Scouting Mag (Dec 2008/Jan 2009)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

18 28.13%
  • Good

16 25.00%
  • Average

14 21.88%
  • Could be better

16 25.00%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scouting Magazine (Youth Edition Dec 2008/Jan 2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    that's the daftness... it is a whizz bang super modern jazzy magazine with wild fonts and clashing colours... but the readership is almost entirely leaders...

it rather misses the point...
    Actually, this is a good point!
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    I have now sat and read this through.
    It was nice to put faces to names. I am sure you found the experience interesting and very hard work.
    I found the layout distracting. When writing you should think of who you are writing for and the audience you want to get your message across to, I suspect that the initial pages will put some Adults off.
    I think that in all honesty I found it told me nothing that I was not already aware of when it came to the pressures on teenagers (in particular) in current times. This knowledge coming from having a 16yro and a 18 yro. For those without teenagers it may have some use.
    I found the colours used hard to read.
    I missed the last laugh cartoons, it is normally what I turn to first, then I go to the letters! and if I am being really honest I found the suggestion that I share my bag of chips with the early birds more than a little patronising. I don't normally get to eat on a Troop night - I just don't have time, if I am really lucky I may get a cup of tea half way through the night. I suspect if we did a poll on here I would not be the only one who didn't eat on their section night.
    Many of the suggestions for activities with my Section would be hard to do with 50+ Scouts, for example taking 14 PL's and APL's to a local coffee shop to listen to what they wanted to say would not be practical in terms of seating let alone the Troop budget. I do run Troop forums and also ask for activity ideas - many suggested have been done, some have not. Badges - asking the Troop which ones they want to do? Not always practical, we do expect Scouts to do some badge work themselves. The last thing I asked my PL's about they completed suprised me by wanting to retain a Tradition of the Troop that we (the Leaders) thought they would want to change after some younger members had expressed a wish to change.
    I foudn the balance between the articles that you as YS had written and those written by adults quite jarring.

I agree that the Scouting magazine is not read by YP (mine were not interested when I took some down for them).

It was nice to see Sea Scouts in there (we wear woggles too), why no Air Scouts?
    There should be a bi-monthly issue purely by the YS for the YP.
    I think I would round this ramble up by saying well done, but can I have my magazine back please?

Thanks
    If I had the chance to recieve these for free I would read them. As for the Graphic Design, I like it. TSA need to get more YP reading these magazines.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fmolesey View Post
    . TSA need to get more YP reading these magazines.
    why?

to tell me that other troops are doing thousands of pounds worth of activities and why can't they? (answer? they can... but it's staggered over 8 yrs of scouts and explorers)

to tell me about trips around the world that other groups seem to do every month? (they get one international every 4 years and i suspect the parents prefer that!)

to tell me about new rules and regulations that have been introduced (they won't read that!)

to point out all the incredible badgework that is available to them and i should be doing? (get stuffed! they get shedloads of cool stuff and should all leave with CSG if they just turn up to most of it)

sorry... giving to scouting magazine to kids is unfair... i sift the info that i want to give my scouts based on practicalities of time, money and ability... if the scouts wanted to publish a simple downloadable pdf that i could photocopy and give out once/month to my kids then i might think about that (simple text, no huge blocks of colour... wise words from ray mears, richard hammond, etc. some backwoods recipes, some kayaking tips... that sort of thing... that would be perfect... but scouting magazine... that is not for kids and this seems to have missed that entirely!)

so... here's an idea...

take those newfound editors and let them produce 2 sides of A4... church newsletter style... make it simple and scouty... don't promise kids kandersteg. iceland and japan... offer them some winter camping tips, firelighting ideas... have some leadership tips for PLS...

publish it online and include it in scouting plus... i'll photocopy it and hand it out the following week... i reckon that we all would... that would be brilliant.

Thanks
    good idea - that would be great. Completely agree that Scouting magazine is a bit lost at times

Thanks
    I liked the issue. It was a bit different, it was a one off, it questioned some of the more 'traditional' aspects, and suggested atractive alternatives for the 21st centuary. You may have learnt nothing new from it - maybe you are already an enlightened leader.

I agree though - Scouting Magazine isn't, has never been and should never be for Young People. Its raison d'ĂȘtre is as a resource for adults.

I don't though agree that Scouting Magazine should ignore the troops that go to Kandersteg, Japan etc to focus on the ordinary. It should have a mixture of the inspirational, to the useful tips thats can be put in place at the weekly meeting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I don't though agree that Scouting Magazine should ignore the troops that go to Kandersteg, Japan etc to focus on the ordinary. It should have a mixture of the inspirational, to the useful tips thats can be put in place at the weekly meeting.
    nope... don't ignore them, they can be an inspiration to leaders... but if you start giving it to kids...( kids who for next three months will be going to a dusty scout hall each week... with poss one winter camp at local site and maybe a trip to a pool or quasar... (with excellent leaders laying on cool stuff for almost no cost each week)) those kids will start wonderng where their ski trips are, their visits from the great and the good, the visits to football grounds, the incredible winter camps etc etc...

scouting mag portrays an often utopian version of scouting... fine for us as adults but i'm not sure i want my scouts to start wondering why they are doing pasta pioneering and not planning their ski trip!?

Thanks
    Not trying to sound overly negative, but personally I can't tell much difference between this and a 'normal' issue of Scouting. LOTS of adverts for things which most leaders imho would only ever need to order once, a few articles which try to impart new information which i've already picked up from escouts and other sources, a well deserved pat on the back for some people who have gained an award (providing they were able to get to London Zoo for the presentation), a few more adverts and then finally the wonderful JAD quiz.
    I don't know about anyone else (though from some of the comments in this thread) the magazine is largely irrelavant in the way I 'do' scouts and i think the people who make it should reconsider what exactly it's supposed to be for.
    As for the supplement, I don't think I've ever used any ideas from it, they always seem as if they just wouldn't work with my lot, maybe it's different for other sections.

For 'tis I! The Pedge!

Thanks
    Have to agree with those who are in essence saying - well done the youth editors, but not really a magazine for leaders. To me this is a PR magazine but why send to leaders who know that we are all doing a good job and providing good scouting experiences for the YP. Bring back the magazine as it was in the late 90's with loads of real ideas and tips and pioneering projects.

Not only that but this issue for me they have included the Network supplement instead of the Scout one. Whilst I am flattered that they think I am under 26 (I wish) it is not very helpful
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by astwood7 View Post
    Not only that but this issue for me they have included the Network supplement instead of the Scout one. Whilst I am flattered that they think I am under 26 (I wish) it is not very helpful
    You are only 21 Fiona! and you aren't missing much in the Scout supplement. The only bit that is new to me is the Scout handbook they are bringing out - looks OK - hope its cheap!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    The only bit that is new to me is the Scout handbook they are bringing out - looks OK - hope its cheap!
    It looked interesting, but the article gave very little info about the content. And if the example page is anything to go by it may not be very useful - not all troops use patrol tents - in fact from what I've seen the majority of troops don't use patrol tents. There's little point publishing instructions for pitching "a tent" when all tents are different.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    It looked interesting, but the article gave very little info about the content. And if the example page is anything to go by it may not be very useful - not all troops use patrol tents - in fact from what I've seen the majority of troops don't use patrol tents. There's little point publishing instructions for pitching "a tent" when all tents are different.
    my thoughts exactly!

we have: 12 man army tents, 3 and 8 man vango tunnels, 6-8 man columbia domes, 2 man vaudes, tarps, hammocks and all sorts... we don't have any patrol tents...

would it have beenb too much to put a price in the article? I feel like i'm reading pravda sometimes... they'll only tell us what they want us to know.... the price is pretty crucial to the whole thing...

and by the way... i'm generally a fan of scouting... i just wish it was easier to read and had chunkier articles... onlly 25% of it will ever be of interest to one person but it's a shame the bits i want to read are not a bit bigger and in depth... i'll not read an article on gang shows, be it one page or 4 pages so it might as well be 4 pages for those who are interested... (actually... i'm more likely to read the 4 page one as i might learn something... a page of bullet points is no good for anybody!)... but this is a part of today's cuture... be it tv news or magazines... there is a fear of going in depth as it would put us off... ewan bushfella has written about the length of articles shortening before (in general, not in scouting) it's sad... i like learning new things.
    Last edited by big chris; 29-11-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    I liked it. (did miss last laugh though!). I agree that it did read a bit like a PR mag but maybe that is no bad thing - we don't often boast about what we do and achieve and we should do. It did fall into the trap that the adult edited editions do of not having indepth practical articles but them maybe as the comments on tents show that isn't really possible.

Well done to all involved

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    You are only 21 Fiona!
    Thanks Hilary - it must be scouting keeping me young (if it wasn't for the grey hairs!)
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    I heard a song lyric that said, grey is the new blonde! I'll take that anyday!
    I also agree with the tents comment. We have a wide variety.