View Poll Results: What do you think of the Youth Edition of the Scouting Mag (Dec 2008/Jan 2009)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

18 28.13%
  • Good

16 25.00%
  • Average

14 21.88%
  • Could be better

16 25.00%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scouting Magazine (Youth Edition Dec 2008/Jan 2009)

Thanks
    one of my beavers is on page 28
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Thanks
    I think that there are a number of problems with Scouting Magazine and they are not to do with this issue specifically, just the concept in general.

You post out 100000?? full colour magazines to adults in Scouting, it isnt going to be focused, and isnt going to suit the many and varied needs of the readership. So people tend to flick through and read the bits we are interested in.

That said all the young people have made a fantastic job at doing this and its important in a Young Persons movement the us old foggies, get where they are coming from. I was particularily encouraged to see that issues, that have been hotly debated here, were tackled from a YP perspective.

Well done, BTW I'm available for an interview about Escouts in your next issue

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys it's been quite an interesting read in this topic! It's funny how everyone brings up the Last Laugh as we knew that was probably the one thing that might be slightly controversial back when we planned the issue in August.

I'm glad most of you enjoyed it, we had a great time making it but as Chris, Becky and Alec (I Don't know about the others) post on here I'm sure they will post at some point. It was quite an interesting process to be involved in and hopefully the articles we decided to write were quite an interesting read...

Thank You!

Tom

Thanks

Angry

Bring back 'The Last Laugh'.

"
    It's funny how everyone brings up the Last Laugh as we knew that was probably the one thing that might be slightly controversial back when we planned the issue in August."
    No - it isn't funny how everyone brings it up - it shows what a popular feature it is, and shows how you haven't though about your reader - the leaders. An apology would be better than a flippant comment!

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Well, I read it in bed last night. I quite deliberately have not read what others have said so far in this thread as I know that some of the YP involed in the mag read and I want to be fair to them and not have my opinion swayed by others......

Firstly, a huge 'well done' to all involved for all the hard work and dedication which has quite obviously gone into this project. I am truly impressed!

Now, to brass tacks:

As ever I started in the obvious place - the back page - to look at the last laugh, which I use as the first (and often the only) laugh. Instead of starting with a smile, I was set off with a daft suggestion to share my chips! What chips? I don't have time usually even to grab a mars bar before Scouts, let alone travel ten miles to the nearest take-away food shop!

Somewhat miffed, I went back to the beginning of the magazine. It soon became clear that it was designed as a sort of 'Teenage Angst Mag,' very well executed and put together if that is the target audience - sadly, it is not. Since Scouting Magazine is not publically available and since it is not widely read by YP then I am forced to conclude that it misses its target which, no fault of the young editors, is Adults in Scouting.

Since, at the moment, the audience is mainly Adult leaders, the layout should be easy for them to feel comfortable with. This, sadly is not the case.I don't want to get to page ten and have to turn the wretched thing on its side to look at self-glorifying photos and 'Aren't We Clever, Mum?' captions.

The whole thing is very short on hard useful information for leaders. Most of it is YPs views and we hear those week in week out from our Scouts - and they are exactly the same as those given here!

I enjoyed the few 'solid' pieces I could lie back and read, such as the piece on Llangollan Scout Group but many of the pieces seemed as if they were designed either for Goldfish to read (they only have a 4 second memory, you know) or for total illiterates who only ever look at pictures and never read the words!

When I was a young earnest writer, age 20, I proudly showed the script of my very first gritty, Northern, hard-hitting play to a well known writer. He took it away, read it and sent me a telegram. "Totally humourless. send it again when you have 'gagged it up'!" I was crushed but, in retrospect, it was one of the best bits of advice that I was ever given. Your magazine could do with a bit of that, too!

To sum up then, an impressive project which was doubtless very beneficial to those involved but which missed the mark by forgetting its true raison d'etre.

I hope that that is constructive criticism and that it helps should the experiment be repeated! Now I am off to read what everone else has written!

(..and if there is a next time, don't forget the 'funnies'!)
    Last edited by Dramatist; 30-11-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: French spelling mistake!!!

Thanks
    I found the Mag a little patronising and seemed to be filled with an almost teenage angst tone of:

"Why not listen to your young people" - As if we don't at the moment??

There are lots of things we can ask our YP, and they can influence and have their views, but fundermentally they are young people for a reason - they cannot and must not be allowed to make all their own decisisions. Choas would follow and it'd all go wrong. Children are not capable of making some decisions, somethings have to be done by adults.

Thanks
    I thought the magazine was very well designed - however probably not the best design if your aiming at anyone aged 18 to 118...

I didn't like the fact that page 10 - 11 were laid out horizontally. And leaving the 'last laugh' out of the publication all together wasn't the best idea... many people look at that first! (me included) in fact i actually flicked through the whole magazine a few times trying to find it in case it had been moved somewhere else.

And for next time, i look forward to reading Richard's interview
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    I think the mag was great for the YP's but not so good for us oldies!!! I found a number of the articles hard to read as the font it's gone when it printed and with the dark background.

Scouting Mag is not Scouting Mag without last laugh. I also think it needs to go back to monthly and some stuff is being carried over for months after it happends. A letter writen now isn't going to appear till at least Feb's edition.

Well done to you all anyway.
    West Hull DESC
    ESL - West Hull DESU (Isotropic Unit)
    West Hull District Webmaster
    Humberside Scouts Young Leader Training Team Member

www.westhulldistrict.escouts.net

Thanks
    As many others have said all credit to those involved for giving it a good go, as I'm sure you'll all have given up much time and effort in doing so. Do take all our comments in the manner in wich they are intended - which is nothing personal and is as much about the magazine in general as it is this particular edition.

Like many things though it's about the target audience and this edition "style" etc did strike me too as being aimed at teenagers etc rather than the adults (in fact I showed my 15 year old and he thought it was a teen magazine...)

I'm afraid the comment about sharing chips (although I can understand where it comes from) did rather rankle, as like many our leaders seldom get chance to grab anything before a meeting anyway.

So, now the YP have been allowed a "turn" who else on votes "leaders from the coal face" should be allowed a future edition too?????????? Strikes me from suggestions made we'd soon be able to get a team together
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Account Closed
    Thanks
    As promised, I have now read the thread and I discover (surprise, surprise) that I am not alone in my views.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    . Do take all our comments in the manner in wich they are intended - which is nothing personal and is as much about the magazine in general as it is this particular edition.
    I wish to reiterate Wolfie's point. I have nothing but admiration for the YP in taking on and seeing through the project. I am sure, too that it will have been a terrific experience for them and just the sort of unique thing that the Scout Association should be doing and should be proud to be leading the way in so doing.
    .(in fact I showed my 15 year old and he thought it was a teen magazine...)
    ....This is the big 'beef' which comes through in people's posts. Perhaps there is something to be gained here. Perhaps YP in Scouting should have their own magazine - it would be something else unique to us! If the funding and sponsorship were to be found for such a publication then these young people have made an excellent case for being the ones to start it going!
    .So, now the YP have been allowed a "turn" who else on votes "leaders from the coal face" should be allowed a future edition too?????????? Strikes me from suggestions made we'd soon be able to get a team together
    After my essay to the YP over this one in my earlier post, I would have to put my money where my mouth is - I'd be up for it - great idea!
    Last edited by Dramatist; 30-11-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_ View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys it's been quite an interesting read in this topic! It's funny how everyone brings up the Last Laugh as we knew that was probably the one thing that might be slightly controversial back when we planned the issue in August.

I'm
    why did you get rid of it? it is the bit that keeps leaders sane... i don't know the process behind writing it but we all sit there thinking Ian West is spying on us... it's all happenned to us... i might be being petty but

here's waht took its place:

lrn 2 cmunic8: get on a social networking site... ok... so i need a myspace page, a bebo page, a facebook page, msn and i need to deal with the parents who follow the rules and don't allow their children to use those sites and wonder why they're missing out on info (myspace:14, facebook and bebo 13)

share your dinner: what chuffing dinner...? i don't eat until 10pm on a scout night....

Back to the future: lean to be 16 again... (this ties in with the next one
    Get our views: are you kidding me? we only do this to pkeep the kids happy... we are always assessing how much something was enjoyed or whether something would be popular...

Use POL: ok... good idea... many of us do...

Get spiritual : encourage discussion... etc... What do you think weare doing as we are pilting a narrowboat, walking up a mountain, talking about remembrance day etc...

sorry... last laugh really must come back... not patronising pap like its replacement...

i'll flicj through for some good points:

letters, intersteing... esp. re grants and loans
    everyday adventure: programme ideas
    v brief interview with a medal winner... were you scared of boring us with anything longer than 200 words? I'd read more about him v happily. good start though
    Should I stay or should I go this identified problems but did not present many solutions... again, good start
    Welsh at heart a real article... with paragraphs and a bit of depth... nice one
    Trainer feature rather well done
    QSA stuff good idea... esp as you can get it up to 25 now. good advert for the award.
    Bringing the outdoors in a good little pep talk for us... well written and not patronising... well done Dannie
    Gadgets always good
    Resources always useful
    Active kids, cool, i was wondering about that. nice one
    Christmas quiz increasingly google proof... it's excellent

so.. some good stuff there... could do better... and i rather like my "church newsletter-style monthly handout" idea... that would be useful

Thanks
    Ah Chris, so you've read and anaylised this one more than any of the last ones, so to me thats a result.

I think there have always beens problems with the format, some of it is to do with the fact that its a printed magazine, and if you read any online media, including not a lot is new.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Christmas quiz increasingly google proof... it's excellent
    I can give you the answers to the first three - for a small consideration! The rest will have to wait til at least Boxing Day - far too much to do before then!
    I agree, it is excellent as ever. So sad that it is the last of the 'originals'!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Ah Chris, so you've read and anaylised this one more than any of the last ones, so to me thats a result.

I think there have always beens problems with the format, some of it is to do with the fact that its a printed magazine, and if you read any online media, including not a lot is new.
    i have always held that if I look at 25% then that's good... but i would like the other 75% to be easily scannable... so i can take in the info...

i always flick through every page and much of it bores me... but it gets harder and harder to pick up the info...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    I can give you the answers to the first three - for a small consideration! The rest will have to wait til at least Boxing Day - far too much to do before then!
    I agree, it is excellent as ever. So sad that it is the last of the 'originals'!
    1 - yes
    2 - no
    3- yes
    4- yes
    5- yes
    6- (i assume that can be found out)
    7- b... ummmm... need to think about that
    8- this is clever... i've no idea
    9- easy peasy
    10 i think i know... need to check a book... darn... no... ummm... i have another theory... no... darn... grrrrr it's not the animals in Animal Farm... nor is it the animals in the bible...
    11... eh?
    14... i'll need to read up a bit
    15... hopefully my diary will tell me this
    16... gulp... i'll need to sit dowm with pen and paper...
    17... this must be a trick one...
    18... is life too short? possibly
    19... oh god... i feel an equation coming on
    20... again... gonna have to sit and think... grrrr