View Poll Results: What do you think of the Youth Edition of the Scouting Mag (Dec 2008/Jan 2009)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

18 28.13%
  • Good

16 25.00%
  • Average

14 21.88%
  • Could be better

16 25.00%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Scouting Magazine (Youth Edition Dec 2008/Jan 2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    Sadly, that's one thing it isn't!
    Had you kept us in our comfort zone with the layout, you would have got away with the content no problem and probably changed a few views rather than raising a few hackles, along the way!
    Thanks very much for your comments again, same with everyone's - they are all really interesting to read.

I think this point is quite good, when we met to plan it in august we didn't want to keep the magazine in the leaders 'comfort zone', we wanted to be a bit edgy and ultimately different (which from the comments we must have done as it is a reccuring theme in the comments so far). I don't think that this change has done too much damage as it is a one-off...

Out of curiousity quite a few people have said it wasn't quite what they expected (or words to that effect) so i was wondering what everyone was expecting from the issue (maybe it could help in the future)?

Thanks
    Tom Hylands
    Explorer Scout Leader (Inferno ESU, Burgess Hill)
    County Explorer Scout Leader (West Sussex)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 805 Posts
    I just finished reading the magazine from cover to cover.

Yes it was different from the normal Scouting Magazine but obviously it would be with having Scouts editing it as they do not have the experience of being a Leader to give advice from our perspective. So the idea to let them try and express to us Leaders what the Scouts (in all Sections) think about some relatively common issues seemed pretty good for a one off issue.

The layout was a little in your face but I didn't have any real issue actually reading it (and I am on the verge of needing reading glasses). The articles were generally a bit too short but with so many things to try to cover in only one magazine I can understand why short articles were decided on. I do think the tone was a little patronizing at times but probably only to the converted of us who already do a lot of the things suggested (although I draw the line at giving my food away )

Would I like the magazine like this all the time? No definitely not. However this was a one off oppertunity for Scouts to edit TSA's magazine for Leaders and I think they made a pretty good job of it overall.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I didn't have any real issue actually reading it (and I am on the verge of needing reading glasses).
    I tripped over that verge and dropped off the following cliff ten years ago - and I did struggle a bit reading it!
    However this was a one off oppertunity for Scouts to edit TSA's magazine for Leaders and I think they made a pretty good job of it overall.
    Hear Hear! I can only admire them for having the bottle to take it on and I hope that this thread remains, for them constructive and not destructive!

Thanks
    I just finished reading the magazine from cover to cover.

Yes it was different from the normal Scouting Magazine but obviously it would be with having Scouts editing it as they do not have the experience of being a Leader to give advice from our perspective. So the idea to let them try and express to us Leaders what the Scouts (in all Sections) think about some relatively common issues seemed pretty good for a one off issue.

The layout was a little in your face but I didn't have any real issue actually reading it (and I am on the verge of needing reading glasses). The articles were generally a bit too short but with so many things to try to cover in only one magazine I can understand why short articles were decided on. I do think the tone was a little patronizing at times but probably only to the converted of us who already do a lot of the things suggested (although I draw the line at giving my food away )

Would I like the magazine like this all the time? No definitely not. However this was a one off oppertunity for Scouts to edit TSA's magazine for Leaders and I think they made a pretty good job of it overall.
    This is what we were emphasising - we were given the magazine for one issue so we wanted to make it as different as we could whilst still keeping a few things the same. It's impossible to cover every single issue due to page limitations and we had about another 3 or 4 A2 sheets full of ideas of stories we wanted to cover and the ones that appear in the magazine are those that we felt had the strongest impact.

As Alec and I have said it wasn't written to be patronising and whilst you and others may well be enlightened doesn't mean its an irrelevant issue as i'm sure there will be some leaders somewhere that will look at it and think 'actually i will ask my cubs what they think' and if that happens we've done brilliantly - if it helps 1 person thats fantastic, maybe even share a chip. As everyone is different and at different stages it is impossible, as Richard said, to write a magazine completely relevant for 100,000 people - if you are already doing all these things it's brilliant and your Scouts have a fab leader!

I hope there was something for everyone in there (even if its the smallest thing)
    Tom Hylands

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_ View Post
    maybe even share a chip
    That presumably light hearted comment implies to me a lack of understanding of why the leaders are turning up with chips. In pretty much every case it's because their rushing from their day job to get ready for the section meeting and won't have time to eat otherwise.

I'm not going to share them - I bought them so I get food!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    I tripped over that verge and dropped off the following cliff ten years ago - and I did struggle a bit reading it!
    Yes but I assume you actually have reading glasses then, I on the other hand need a trip to the opticians as the newspaper is becoming a struggle to read

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    That presumably light hearted comment implies to me a lack of understanding of why the leaders are turning up with chips. In pretty much every case it's because their rushing from their day job to get ready for the section meeting and won't have time to eat otherwise.

Yep, rarely a week goes by that I don't end up eating half my tea before I go to Explorers and the other half after I get back as I am rushing around madly trying to print off letters and gather up the things needed for the meeting.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 30-11-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post

I actually wrote that part of the magazine and i wrote it as i take chips to scout meeting as i go straight from college to the scout hut to be a YL for beavers at 5, then stay through for cubs and scouts until 10ish, so im there for upwards of 5 hours, therefore i pop out to the chippy in between cubs and scouts in order to eat. so i think i know exactly why leaders turn up with chips!

That lighthearted comment i made was due to the fact quite a few people brought it up so i thought hey ill make a comment about it!
    Last edited by tom_; 30-11-2008 at 10:45 PM.
    Tom Hylands

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_ View Post
    I actually wrote that part of the magazine and i wrote it as i take chips to scout meeting as i go straight from college to the scout hut to be a YL for beavers at 5, then stay through for cubs and scouts until 10ish sometimes so im there for upwards of 5 hours therefore i pop out to the chippy in between cubs and scouts in order to eat. so i think i know exactly why leaders turn up with chips!

That lighthearted comment i made was due to the fact quite a few people brought it up so i thought hey ill make a comment about it!

Maybe a lesson learned about context there... when you explain I understand better (even if I don't agree) but when I just read what was in the magazine that's not how it came across, at least to me.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip View Post
    I have no idea, I guess it is because they were selected somewhere along the line to be Young Spokespeople. I have to say that although I have had a couple of Scouts who would have been ideal for this role, they were never invited to attend any training despite me asking for them.
    As a YSP and NYR, i saw the Advert on Scouts.org and Scouting Plus weekly email... It just happens that the people who attually contacted HQ, where YSPS!
    Chris Neal
    County NYR - Wiltshire
    County Network Rep - Wiltshire
    Wiltshire County Network Exec
    Wiltshire County Exec
    Melksham scout Group - ASL
    54th Greenwich - ASL
    Member of The Council of The Scout Association
    British Youth Council - Scout Association Deligate
    Young Spokesperson (YSP)
    Scouting Young Campaigner (SYC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Maybe a lesson learned about context there... when you explain I understand better (even if I don't agree) but when I just read what was in the magazine that's not how it came across, at least to me.
    I know what your saying but it's hard to get the context in with that small amount of words so it went in without it and people can obviously relate to it albeit with different views...

but i hope i cleared up the chip debate!
    Tom Hylands

Thanks
    I'll give another example: when I was 15 I drank an aweful lot of beer and passed out - I was young and incapable of making a decision that affected my well being - I just kept drinking!!

But surely you can't classed all YP with the same brush... The Small Miniority is how all Adults in the community seem to see young people, The SMALL MINORITY.... NOT ALL!
    Chris Neal
    County NYR - Wiltshire
    Wiltshire County Exec
    54th Greenwich - ASL
    Young Spokesperson (YSP)

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Yes but I assume you actually have reading glasses then, I on the other hand need a trip to the opticians as the newspaper is becoming a struggle to read
    Varifocals actually, which are great but which have one major drawback which is that anything printed at an angle has to be turned vertical for comfortable reading - the 'post it' note 'taped' over straight text on page 3 was particularly difficult and the varied angles of photos and text on the 'Personal Effects' item on p30/31 made me feel dizzy (partly due to vertigo which is a side effect of what put me in a wheelchair). The white on blue on page 59 (Bringing the outdoors in) had me reduced to wondering if I had any paracetamol in the house! - Ok, so I am falling to bits and should be certified!

Thanks
    Last Laugh.
    I bought the book. I don't look at it as having an effect on how I do my Scouting. I look on it as - I can just so see that happening! It is a giggle. Something to lighten the mood. Just because people didn't spend £5 on a little book doesn't mean that it isn't a much loved feature of the magazine. I am also suprised that you get a copy as a Young Leader. My YL's dont' get a copy. More likely it is because you are a YS that you get a copy![/QUOTE]

If you conatact Gilwell or via the new Beta system you should be able to register them...

I think this point is quite good, when we met to plan it in august we didn't want to keep the magazine in the leaders 'comfort zone', we wanted to be a bit edgy and ultimately different (which from the comments we must have done as it is a reccuring theme in the comments so far). I don't think that this change has done too much damage as it is a one-off...

The layout / Type change was not due to us... However from what i know i think it will be staying from future issues...
    This was down to the GIlwell Team and THink - Publishers
    Chris Neal
    County NYR - Wiltshire
    Wiltshire County Exec
    54th Greenwich - ASL
    Young Spokesperson (YSP)

Thanks
    I havent got my mag yet Hope it hurrys up, otherwise I may have to resort to doing revision:O
    ASL 80th (Knightswood) Glasgow
    Scottish Scout Network Council Chairperson
    Midlothian District Executive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Neal 2008 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Neal 2008 View Post
    Last Laugh.
    I bought the book. I don't look at it as having an effect on how I do my Scouting. I look on it as - I can just so see that happening! It is a giggle. Something to lighten the mood. Just because people didn't spend £5 on a little book doesn't mean that it isn't a much loved feature of the magazine. I am also suprised that you get a copy as a Young Leader. My YL's dont' get a copy. More likely it is because you are a YS that you get a copy!
    If you conatact Gilwell or via the new Beta system you should be able to register them...

The layout / Type change was not due to us... However from what i know i think it will be staying from future issues...
    This was down to the GIlwell Team and THink - Publishers
    Not completely true Chris! uni life must be getting to you - when we went to the designers they had mocked up the pages and asked us for our thoughts and if we wanted to change anything and we unanimously voted to keep it as we all loved it! and i'm sure it will be converted back for the next issue!
    Tom Hylands