Thread: How do you choose a campsite?

Web Developer
    Thanks

How do you choose a campsite?

I was wondering how everyone goes about picking a campsite.

In the past I have tended to opt for well known sites recommended by fellow Scouters, but I know that there are many more out there that could be better choices!

There are several directories including the one on ScoutBase but the information they give isn't particularly detailed.

Visiting the site before the actual camp isn't always possible (especially if it is far away!) so I wondered how else people tend to investigate new sites and activity centres.
    Simon

Media Development Manger - Greater London North
    Nominated Youth Representative
    Explorer Scout Leader
    Tolmers Scout Camp Service Crew
    Greater London North Scout County Webmaster
    www.simonholt.com

Thanks
    Pick an area that you want to visit.

1 Do some primary research through Scoutbase ads, GLSE database and Scouting mag and evaluate which are most likely to suit your requirements OR

2 Ask on here!

There's no substitute for personal experience!

Thanks
    the main criteria for a week camp is
    toilets/showers
    decent on site activities
    distance from site
    off site activities
    opportunities for a day out

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    about to find a new site for whitsun camp...

primary tools are an OS map and a car....

but that is for greenfield.... bit different

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    the main criteria for a week camp is
    toilets/showers
    decent on site activities
    distance from site
    off site activities
    opportunities for a day out
    Well, for us the first two aren't important. no, I'd go as far as to say we actively avoid them.

My site selection criteria goes something like this...

1. Decide on rough location
    2. Work out what districts and counties those areas are in
    3. contact said counties and districts and ask for camp site lists
    4. Spend ages on the phone to farmers asking what the field is like, what we can/can't do, etc.
    5. Short list and spend a day or two driving round looking at lots of fields, avoiding the cows and working out which one is best.

We've found some excellent sites this way, and some slightly ropey ones that we didn't work out until we got there!

Adrian

Thanks
    Depends on which Section you are talking about. The requirements for Cubs being different to Beavers which are different to Scouts.
    When selecting a campsite I would normally have an idea in my mind as to what I want to get out of the camp in the first place. However, I have never done a greenfield camp so can't comment on that.
    For Cubs the distance from home to site comes into it a bit, not so much for Scouts.
    then if I am running an activity based camp then activities available on site and in the area, if not then what I can do on site to what I have in mind. For me, reasonable toilets and showers, although in my younger days it would not have worried me at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianP View Post
    Well, for us the first two aren't important. no, I'd go as far as to say we actively avoid them.

My site selection criteria goes something like this...

1. Decide on rough location
    2. Work out what districts and counties those areas are in
    3. contact said counties and districts and ask for camp site lists
    4. Spend ages on the phone to farmers asking what the field is like, what we can/can't do, etc.
    5. Short list and spend a day or two driving round looking at lots of fields, avoiding the cows and working out which one is best.

We've found some excellent sites this way, and some slightly ropey ones that we didn't work out until we got there!

Adrian
    And those of us who are lazier can then just ask people like Adrian which sites are good and which arent

Currently dont have greenfield so my way of finding a site is decide on the part of the country, search on scoutbase, find two or three, ask on here if anyone knows what they're like, and then go for a drive.

I wouldnt really want to take scouts camping any further away than i'd be willing to drive for a site visit anyway.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

New Ideas Researcher
    Thanks
    I'm fairly new at being a Scout Leader (officially for a year, unofficially for 2 years before) so I'm still getting to grips with doing things at a local level

Our troop has used the same local campsite for the last 3 camps. The long and short of this is simply transport to and from camps. I'm very weary at asking parents to transport their Scouts too far to go camping. I dont know if I'm wrong for doing so or not.

Dare I ask the question of what others think about transporting over a distance or will that be another thread??

Oh well, I've asked now
    Last edited by timrob39; 05-01-2009 at 03:39 PM.
    Tim Robinson
    Assistant Scout Leader
    1st Laceby Scout Troop - Humberside County

"You know you're a Scout when your social life is Scouting!"

"Scout's do it in the mud!"

Web Developer
    Thanks
    Although I have 15 rowdy Explorer Scouts, I'm lucky enough to have access to a Mini Bus and driver for our camps and trips.

I wouldnt really want to take scouts camping any further away than i'd be willing to drive for a site visit anyway.
    Explorers may be a pain but their age does mean travelling further away from home isn't an issue; so we are able to do a lot more adventurous activities - unfortunately you can't do much white water rafting in London .. apart from down the Thames maybe!
    Simon

Explorer Scout Leader
    www.simonholt.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simonholt26 View Post
    Although I have 15 rowdy Explorer Scouts, I'm lucky enough to have access to a Mini Bus and driver for our camps and trips.

Explorers may be a pain but their age does mean travelling further away from home isn't an issue; so we are able to do a lot more adventurous activities - unfortunately you can't do much white water rafting in London .. apart from down the Thames maybe!
    As a scout we used to travel from Leicester to Snowdonia, about 4 and a half hours in the minibus with an hour break for lunch and a game of football in a village park near Chester. 7am start and we'd be there in time to get all the tents etc pitched before nightfall.

We then started going more locally, and when i worked with AdrianP's troop in Bath i once asked why he never took the scouts more than about 3 hours drive away. However having since driven a minibus load of scouts through the traffic jam from hell on the M25 i now know exactly why we dont drive keep kids in a minibus for hours on end!!!!!

I guess it depends where in the country you are. From bath a 3 hour drive can include Dartmoor, Exmoor, New Forest, the entire Dorset, Hampshire and Somerset coastline, the cotswolds, brecon beacons, the malverns, the thames valley (including longridge) and probably the Pembrokshire coast. Theres just no point in going further!

Ok - thats my tuppence-worth.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Web Developer
    Thanks
    I agree that going too far afield could be more hassle than its worth, but there could be a danger of all camps ending up being the same.

My aim in an event/camp I'm part of organising is to make it as different from the last one as possible. In today's world of televisions and computer games young people are far more demanding when it comes to 'adventure'!
    Simon

Explorer Scout Leader
    www.simonholt.com

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timrob39 View Post
    I'm fairly new at being a Scout Leader (officially for a year, unofficially for 2 years before) so I'm still getting to grips with doing things at a local level

Our troop has used the same local campsite for the last 3 camps. The long and short of this is simply transport to and from camps. I'm very weary at asking parents to transport their Scouts too far to go camping. I dont know if I'm wrong for doing so or not.

Dare I ask the question of what others think about transporting over a distance or will that be another thread??

Oh well, I've asked now
    You could look at this thread - gives a fair clue (as you can see - it was started cos I had parents complain)

http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/show...light=sandiway

Welcome and good luck!