Thread: Hardship Funds

Thanks

Hardship Funds

Ive been told by our DC, that there are hardship funds in existance...

With the "credit crunch", I would like to be more aware - as Im sure will be having parents who have financial difficulties....

Whats available?
    What will it cover?
    Are there any websites/ webpages I can look at?

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stbritannia View Post
    Ive been told by our DC, that there are hardship funds in existance...

With the "credit crunch", I would like to be more aware - as Im sure will be having parents who have financial difficulties....

Whats available?
    What will it cover?
    Are there any websites/ webpages I can look at?
    I would be interested to know if such a fund does exist in view of my current thread re non-payment of subs! I thought they were locally set up by district or individual groups? Our group is not that large 60 YP, and we do not have a specific hardship fund at the moment.

Has anyone seen a hardship application form as mentioned in the non-payer thread?
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!

Thanks
    You could start by following the link here to see what SA offers / suggests http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/hq/fundr...unds/index.htm. Some are lcoation based etc though.

Some County and Districts have their own too so worth asking there.

We actually have one of our own as a Group, which works really well and is used to cover anything from subs to uniform and camp funds to day trips. It's quite easy to get going as it's something local businesses / trusts are often keen to support (pm me your e-mail if you want the wording we use when "blagging" fr this one because it's about inclusion irrespective of parental ability to pay.

If we are planning fundraising then the Group might agree the discretionary fund needs topping up so X% profits from that event will go to that.

Depending on circumstances and what families want we can pay 100% of whatever it is right the way through to them insisting they pay back at £5 a month etc.

Would definately recommend it as I know we have children taking part that, without such help, wouldn't have been able to. For example we had several children attend our last Group camp who wouldn't have been able to come if we hadn't paid some or all of the cost.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    You could start by following the link here to see what SA offers / suggests http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/hq/fundr...unds/index.htm. Some are lcoation based etc though.

Some County and Districts have their own too so worth asking there.

We actually have one of our own as a Group, which works really well and is used to cover anything from subs to uniform and camp funds to day trips. It's quite easy to get going as it's something local businesses / trusts are often keen to support (pm me your e-mail if you want the wording we use when "blagging" fr this one because it's about inclusion irrespective of parental ability to pay.

If we are planning fundraising then the Group might agree the discretionary fund needs topping up so X% profits from that event will go to that.

Depending on circumstances and what families want we can pay 100% of whatever it is right the way through to them insisting they pay back at £5 a month etc.

Would definately recommend it as I know we have children taking part that, without such help, wouldn't have been able to. For example we had several children attend our last Group camp who wouldn't have been able to come if we hadn't paid some or all of the cost.
    How do you judge your hardship cases Wolfie and on what criteria? Bearing in mind I would imagine its quite embarrassing for a parent to admit financial hardship, how much do you delve and how much do you take on trust? Thanks.
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgette View Post
    How do you judge your hardship cases Wolfie and on what criteria? Bearing in mind I would imagine its quite embarrassing for a parent to admit financial hardship, how much do you delve and how much do you take on trust? Thanks.
    Always tricky and actually the hardest thing is actually getting people to ask for help in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically it comes from several things:
    - we know most of our families quite well so when we started the fund I had a quiet and subtle (believe it or not I can do that!) word with the immediate ones that sprung to mind. They were relieved to know that options were available that meant their children wouldn't have to miss out.
    - we thought about whether it should only be available to families on benefits etc and decided against that route. After all there are many families who scrape by so they don't have to go on benefits and finding £150 for a big camp would be impossible, especially if they have several children.

In terms of process we tackle that a few ways too:
    - on our newsletters, e-mails about "extras" etc and on our website we explain we have the fund and that money should not be the reason why they tell their child they can't join / go on camp.
    -families use word of mouth, so for example one Cub Mum may suggest to her friend that Jonny can go after all if she asks for help.
    -when setting up payment options for more expensive camps we remind everyone again.
    -we "target" our "known" families when we think we can help, either a leader or I might have a quiet word
    -our most popular form of help is if they have 2 children we pay for one and they pay for the other, although we do pay for both sometimes.

To ask for help families can either contact the Section Leader, me or the Treasurer and it's taken to the Exec (with the leaders viewpoint on the request). All treated in total confidence so names are not shared with rest of Exec etc, just the general circumstances.

So I have to say it's mostly gut reaction and trust, but we haven't been proved wrong yet.
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Account Closed
    Thanks
    funds easy! go to your local council web site look for town council follow lead email town clerk ask for community group funding application,
    No2 go to local housing association web site look also for community funding, down load application form fill send back thenk them for there donation, wait 12 months and do it all over again. Need nor ideal just ask.

Spread the wealth

Badger

Thanks
    We've just secured funding from the Housing Association for our hut floor. It means we can retain the cash that we would have otherwise spent to cover activities and support families if required.

This money is there.

You need to word your application appropriately.

This is the public sector and you have to sing from the right hymn sheet.

But the cash is there. Drink deeply of it.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Always be aware that any funds given to a charity for a specific purpose must be used for that purpose.
    If the funds are not used for the specific purpose permission must be sought to use them for an alternative purpose or they will need to be returned.

Always check terms and conditions before applying

As far as I remember
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfbranch View Post
    Always be aware that any funds given to a charity for a specific purpose must be used for that purpose.
    If the funds are not used for the specific purpose permission must be sought to use them for an alternative purpose or they will need to be returned.

Always check terms and conditions before applying

As far as I remember
    I agree but what Don is saying I think is that the fact that the money has been recieved for the hut floor, means that the group funds allocated for the replacement/refurbishment can be used for the "fun" things.
    Martin Whelan

Sherburn CSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    We've just secured funding from the Housing Association for our hut floor. It means we can retain the cash that we would have otherwise spent to cover activities and support families if required.

This money is there.

You need to word your application appropriately.

This is the public sector and you have to sing from the right hymn sheet.

But the cash is there. Drink deeply of it.

Should you not go to your District, if they are like ours they will be "Comfortable for Cash"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts

I was just thinking exactly the same thing. How do you judge?

It isn't always easy. The worst off often make the most effort to meet payments and offering assistance can be taken as an insult. Consistently the late payers and defaulters are the ones with high paid jobs, a BMW and kids at private schools.

Ewan Scott
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk